It must annoy people that everytime I drive by the abandoned car repair shop off Sunset- that I mention how my car was stolen from the lot. It was more than four years ago now and the memory of that loss is still fresh. It was after all the first car that I bought on my own and on a whim. All the others were leased or given to me by someone who felt sorry for me. The story had a happy ending followed by an unhappy one.
1. Walking down the street one day before going on a vacation to WA- I see this candy apple red car that I fell hard for. It looked to me like a giant monster face- I inquired about the price and then went and withdrew all my money in the bank.
2. Love the car and driving in it for almost two months.
3. the car is loaded up with my paintings after a show and then refuses to start.
4. A friend suggests the automechanic on the corner of Sanborn and Sunset.
5. Have car towed there and leave to be repaired
6. Receive call that the gate was broken into- my car stolen
7. they say they filed a police report although they admit they have no business insurance!
8. Months pass and I lament my monster and curse the corner and the men who work there
9. Receive call from impound that car will be auctioned
10 WHAT CAR? "maam your car was towed here...Torino Squire...wagon"
11 Find out the car was neer reported stolen but that some kid was found driving it without a permit.
12. Go down to station and have to break down crying before they will release it to me without $1200-fees (this was accomplished merely because my friend Amy wore a cleavage revealing dress)
13. See car covered in surf stickers and the remnants of a "Jack Keroac" in the back seat- Cameras
poetry books, nudie 70's magazines, shaving kit, and lunchbox of food resting on a tiki futon
14. REUNITED and it feels so good
15. And then eventually the doors won't work, the car stalls and will not keep up... and it gets towed
again to an impound lot where I am told the only way to avoid fees is to turn it over to the city.
16. Monster and I said goodbye-- and I cried in that automobile graveyard while I signed him over
finally the memory of that criminal auto repair corner is being replaced with something good.
That spot has remained vacant ever since the robbery-
But now the LOVE CRAFT Bio fuel people are changing the karma on the corner.
Seems they take those noisy diesel cars and transform them into environmental dream cars that run off free vegetable oil.
You can buy a biofuel-powered Benz or let the team show you how to set up your own home or community fueling station.
Lovecraft- the perfect name in memory of my monster
Now everyone can have a very clean getaway.
Lovecraft Biofuels, 4000 Sunset Boulevard, at Sanborn Avenue, Silver Lake (213-291-8587 or lovecraftbiofuels.com). Fueling Station, 2029 Blake Avenue, between Knox and Newell Streets, Echo Park (877-201-4369).